“The Story” Contest Guidelines & General Information
“The Story: A Short-Short Fiction Contest” is open to anyone 18 years or older. Please note if you are not a resident of the United States, prizes are subject to change if you are a “Top 10” finalist. Published and unpublished authors are eligible.
Submissions must be 1,000 words or less. Sorry, no exceptions.
Submissions must be unpublished short stories.
Submissions will be judged using the following rubric:
1) Characterization – Are the characters believable?
2) Plot – Was it engaging and appropriate for short fiction?
3) Style – Is the author’s style noteworthy?
4) Authenticity – Is the story unique and authentic?
5) Grammar & Diction – Was the grammar correct and diction up to standard?
- The “Top 200” entrants will have their story published on FamilyFiction.com and also have a chance to win our “People’s Choice Award” which will be voted on by our readers.
The “Top 200” will also be read by our celebrity judges panel – check them out here!
The “Top 50” stories will be published in an anthology printed by FamilyFiction and available for purchase.
The “Top 10” winners will be comprised of one winner from each genre (Historical, Amish, Romance, Contemporary, Suspense, Speculative, and YA) will be chosen as well as one “People’s Choice Award,” one “Runner-Up” and one “Grand Prize Winner.”
The “Top 10” winners will receive prize packages – the contents of which will be announced at a later date prior to February 15th.
Each entrant will be asked to choose which genre best suits their story. A story can be entered into multiple genres by paying a separate and reduced entry fee. You may enter as many stories in as many genres as you wish.
An early-bird entry fee will be in place from February 1st-14th. Please see pricing structure below.
1) Early-bird Entry Fee $30
2) Early-bird Entry Fee Discounted Rate $25 (for every additional submission)
3) Normal Entry Fee $35
4) Normal Entry Fee Discounted Rate $30 (for every additional submission)
Submission window opens February 1st! Click here to enter! Entries will only be accepted through our online system.
To get the latest news on our story contest, get your FREE subscription here and weekly updates in your inbox!